St John the Baptist Church, Suckley
Suckley is an ancient place mentioned in the Domesday Book. There has been a church on this site since Norman times and many features were retained when the Victorians rebuilt it: the large Tub Font dated about 1150-1200 and its 17th century domed cover; the Piscina, a 14th century recess in the North Wall of the Chancel used for washing sacred vessels; and the Jacobean pulpit. The old wall tablets were tidied up into the base of the bell tower and outside is a very ancient preaching cross, the base of which is scarred where arrows were sharpened on the stones.
The Sanctuary was modernised by the then Diocesan architect, W J Hopkins (1820-1901) much of whose work can be seen in Worcester and whose masterpiece is said to be at Hallow. The beautiful 1571 chalice now sadly has to be kept in the bank. The East window shows some of the best stained glass of the day by Kempe, whose wheatsheaf signature can be seen. The fine ring of six bells, cast by the Rudhall foundry at Gloucester in around 1710, is regularly rung. The handsome clock on the tower was installed in 1911 in memory of Mr E H Hill, a local benefactor, whose good deeds include the gift of the village hall to the parish.
This traditional Anglican Church is situated next to the School. The village community is geographically scattered, but a warm welcome awaits you here!We would love to see Suckley Church become again the vibrant beating heart of village life. In medieval times it was buzzing with daily activity of all sorts. We hope that by improving the facilities within our church it will again become useful to the whole community, whilst maintaining its role as a spiritual meeting place for rest, refreshment, and worship.
Rev Anne Potter is the Team Vicar for the Parish of Suckley, you can contact her here
Christmas Services at St John the Baptist, Suckley
6pm on 22nd December
11am on 25th December